Re: Wrong console characters are after fresh etch install

All,

Just bringing up this issue again (see the end of the mail for the original
post). It would be nice if some people could check if they encounter the
same issue with wrongly displayed console characters in Etch as well. If
yes, I can post bug. You can simply check this by issuing "man sudoers";
quotes should be displayed as quotes, not characters like "â".

Thanks in advance!

Durk

PS: the issue also exhibits using Konsole as terminal for an SSH session to
an Etch box.

>>> Did anybody notice this issue as well? Or is it just me?
>>
>> It is the first report I can remember  ( b.t.w. I'm human )
>>
>> If it is just you, then you have the check _both_ ends of the
>> terminal. One end is "display server side", the other is computer you
>> work in.
>
> I did some more tests, I think the problem isn't at my side:
>
> - None of my Sarge-installation exhibit this behaviour.
>
> - An etch install with d-i 2007-02-23 on VMware exhibit the issue
>  via a Putty terminal session and the VMware Server Console.
>  Reinstalled a couple of times in order to reproduce the issue.
>  Yes, it was reproducable.
>
> - A completely different etch install with d-i rc1 with preseeding
>  on a physical machine exhibit the issue using a Putty terminal
>  session.
>
> - I tested the above with two different client desktops.
>
> I can't imagine others didn't encounter the issue. The command "man
> sudoers" and "dpgk-reconfigure locales" easily shows the issue.
>
> Durk
>

>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Durk
>>

>> HtH
>> GSt

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Some facts:
>>>
>>> - Target system: VMware Server
>>> - Used the lastest daily netboot build of d-i (2007-02-25)
>>> - Etch expert install
>>> - Pretty default selection: en_US locale, guided part,
>>>   standard system (tasksel), LILO.
>>>
>>> I ended up with a working etch system. Though I had to force the
>>> installation of some packages that couldn't be authenticated by issuing
>>> the command "apt-install -y --force-yes libvolume-id0 udev busybox
>>> libklibc klibc-utils initramfs-tools".
>>>
>>> Anyway, the real issue are the console characters. The font or encoding
>>> is used to display quotes and or non-standard characters. Most notable
>>> with "dpkg-reconfigure <package>" or "man sudoers". Example excerpt of
>>> "man sudoers":
>>>
>>>         User ::= â!â* username â
>>>                  â!â* â%âgroup â
>>>                  â!â* â+ânetgroup â
>>>                  â!â* User_Alias
>>>
>>> The characters are wrongly displayed in both a standard putty session
>>> (TERM=xterm) and the console (tty1) using VMware Server Console.
>>>
>>> My locale settings (default etch, no modifications):
>>>
>>> debian:~# locale
>>> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>>> LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
>>> LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"