Re: r44961 - people/rmh/win32-loader

Op 05-02-2007 om 15:56 schreef Robert Millan:

> > > Doesn't this problem belong somewhere else?
> > > Changing the hostname should be easy.
> >
> > Until it is, it remains up to d-i to not force bad guesses down
> > users' throats to painfully deal with later.
>
> Uhm actualy, it doesn't seem so hard.  Just launch the network-admin setup
> tool, and switch to "General" tab.
>
> About propagation, it doesn't seem like a big problem either.  Basicaly, it
> propagates to hosts (handled by network-admin), motd (dynamicaly generated on
> boot) and mailname (not a problem for the average desktop system).

I also like to see the preseeding of the hostname being dropped.

* The user choosing for GNU/Linux is able to make more choices.
  And infact, that is his reason for making the switch: Having a choice.

* Make a personalasised computer possible.

* Allow a single physical (dual-boot) computer to have several names.

* The MS Windows DHCP client transmits his computername in the
  DHCP-Request, in /etc/dhclient.conf is the parameter "send host-name"
  available. So give a DHCP server the chance to distinct the requesting O.S.

* Quit the "I decide for the simple MS-Windows user" attitude.

Geert Stappers, who admits that the Win32 loader is a good thing.