Re: r44961 - people/rmh/win32-loader
Op 05-02-2007 om 15:56 schreef Robert Millan:
> On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 03:28:27AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Robert Millan wrote:
> > > >
> > > > [ win32-loader does preseed the hostname with computername ]
> > > >
> > > Doesn't this problem belong somewhere else?
> > > Changing the hostname should be easy.
> > Until it is, it remains up to d-i to not force bad guesses down
> > users' throats to painfully deal with later.
> Uhm actualy, it doesn't seem so hard. Just launch the network-admin setup
> tool, and switch to "General" tab.
> About propagation, it doesn't seem like a big problem either. Basicaly, it
> propagates to hosts (handled by network-admin), motd (dynamicaly generated on
> boot) and mailname (not a problem for the average desktop system).
I also like to see the preseeding of the hostname being dropped.
* The user choosing for GNU/Linux is able to make more choices.
And infact, that is his reason for making the switch: Having a choice.
* Make a personalasised computer possible.
* Allow a single physical (dual-boot) computer to have several names.
* The MS Windows DHCP client transmits his computername in the
DHCP-Request, in /etc/dhclient.conf is the parameter "send host-name"
available. So give a DHCP server the chance to distinct the requesting O.S.
* Quit the "I decide for the simple MS-Windows user" attitude.
Geert Stappers, who admits that the Win32 loader is a good thing.