Re: r44961 - people/rmh/win32-loader

Robert Millan wrote:
> > places, like when you log in, and at the bash prompt. My experience is
> > that users care about the hostnames of linux machines, and not of
> > windows systems.
>
> I think you mean to say experienced and non-experienced users here.  The only
> problem is that we lack a lot of non-experienced users in our side, which
> makes the comparison difficult.

No, I'm talking about regular users. For example, a 17 year old who wanted
dual-boot linux on his computer because it was cool. The first thing he
had to do was come up with a name for his computer. In general, any user
for whom installing linux is an act of actually taking ownership of and
personalising their computer for the first time. Most of the people I've
seen go through the "oh, I get the *name* my computer now?" process were
completly inexperienced users.

> > Changing the hostname post-install is a nightmare.
>
> Doesn't this problem belong somewhere else?  Changing the hostname should be
> easy.

Until it is, it remains up to d-i to not force bad guesses down
users' throats to painfully deal with later.

d-i is able to guess an appropriate hostname often by looking at the
DNS, but it still only uses it as a default.

--
see shy jo