Re: debian-installer

    Frans> Which installation option did you choose? The default one,
    Frans> "expert" or "auto"? If you selected "auto", that might
    Frans> explain some of your comments.

I don't recall ever being asked.

    Frans> Jan 29 12:16:48 in-target: Get:504 http://ftp.debian.org
    Frans> etch/main libmyspell3c2 1:3.1-18 [27.5kB] Jan 29 12:16:58
    Frans> in-target: Err http://ftp.debian.org etch/main
    Frans> libmyspell3c2 1:3.1-18 Jan 29 12:16:58 in-target: Error
    Frans> reading from server - read (104 Connection reset by peer)

    Frans> OK. Here is the root cause of the error you saw. Just a
    Frans> simple glitch in the communication with the server.

That was the second glitch. The first glitch it just failed with no
indication of why, not even in the log file (I posted the excerpt
before).

In any case, the GUI shouldn't hide the actual cause of the error by
posting a generic message "something went wrong" - this is what gives
GUIs a bad name. Even just saying "Error in downloading" would be
better.

    Frans> Ah! Here it is, so you did select the "auto" option! I can
    Frans> see that from the fact that priority was "critical" (last
    Frans> line). That exactly explains why you did not get the mirror
    Frans> questions: at critical priority the installer _will_ use
    Frans> black magic whereever possible.

No, the only time I selected anything related to "auto" was when I
chose the "guided partitioning scheme". I suspect it was already in
"auto" by this stage.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.debian.net>