Re: debian-installer

On Monday 29 January 2007 04:37, Brian May wrote:
> Is this the appropriate forum for feedback on the debian-installer?

Yes, it is. An installation report would be the way to do it:
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch05s03.html#submit-bug

> Anyway I tried installing Debian all the way from Windows using:
> debian-boot@lists.debian.org

I guess you mean goodbye-microsoft.com?

> and got several comments on debian-installer (note: I used the
> graphical version):
>
> 1. It didn't ask me what site to use, rather it just assumed
> ftp.debian.org.
>
> 2. It didn't ask me what http_proxy settings to use, the proxy server
> at work can use better channels.
>
> It wouldn't hurt asking to confirm these details are correct IMHO
> before continuing.

These are questions for Robert Millan, who developed this installation
method. The installer itself should ask you for proxy information where
relevant.

> 3. I repeatedly get the failed message. Currently it is "Installation
> step failed: An installation step failed. You can try to run the
> failing item again from the menu, or skip it and choose something
> else. This failing step is "Select and install software".

I am guessing you have run into a known issue with current installations,
which is documented on:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Today

This is not an issue with the installer itself, but with one of the Debian
packages it installs. Did you in fact configure your network using static
network configuration?
We hope this issue will be fixed soon.

If it is not this issue, please send us the syslog (compressed!) for the
installation (you can find that in /var/log/ after switching to VT2, or
you can use the "Save debug logs" option in the installer's main menu).

Cheers,
FJP