Re: Graphical D-I test install

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 11:06:08AM +0200, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
>> >-- *Useless* with the current partitioner
>>
>> Sub-optimality of standard partitioner is something i've heard many
>> people complaining about.
>> I know xavier oswald once started porting gparted from c++ to plain c: i
>> checked out the svn repo some times ago and found a lot of code was
>> already written.
>> Is someone still working on this? Would a gparted-like partitioner be
>> useful for post-etch? (That's basically a lot of GTK programming, i
>> could work on it too)
>
> Another solution is to use gparted and the C++ libraries which go with it. I
> know that there is a dogma of not using c++, but given the development ongoing
> on gparted, and that we would basically need to do fork all that development
> if we want to do our stuff.
>
> Adding C++ libraries will add more or less 1MB to the image.

I'm not sure that will be just that the needed space for the whole C++
code to be in d-i.

>From d-i point of view, I think it (use of another partitioner) would
make things harder to evolve together since the new features would
need to be add in partman and <your pet graphical partitioner here>.

I don't know what others thing about this but I think would be better
to have a common partitioner for all frontends to avoid that kinda of
complication in D-I release and development.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116