Re: RFC: Possible (partial) solution for device persistence issue

Op 17-10-2006 om 17:10 schreef maximilian attems:
> On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 04:27:19PM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> > Dear Kernel developers,
> >
> > Your work is appriceated, but I have a request:
> >
> >   Please allow reproducable hardware detection.
> >
> > As systemadministrator I can't affort having a disk that is one moment
> > /dev/sda and the next reboot /dev/sdb.
> >
> > Having a fast booting system is great, having disks swapped not.
>
> the kernel _never_ guaranteed stable device nodes,
> that is an userspace policy.

I should smile.

In 1997 I had /dev/sda, which had SCSI target Id #3.
When I added another disk, being target #2, that became /dev/sda
And the original /dev/sda went into /dev/sdb
rendering the system _unbootable_
So after about 10 years, is the answer use UUID.

I should laugh ...

> use the tools that provide that.

Please provide names of such tools.   (TIA)

> > Please prefer consistence above speed.
> >
> > Thank you for reading this humble plea.
> > Geert Stappers
>
> edgy udev transforms the fstab to use plain uuids,
> to guarantee correct root recognition.
> i guess their installer also add uuid entries to the newly
> installed fstab - why is that not in d-i?
>
> --
> maks

Cheers
Geert Stappers
--
During system recovery provide the boot option:

  root=UUID=4a6aed11-42dd-4c82-81ce-8f469e93f210