Re: RFC: Possible (partial) solution for device persistence issue

On Sunday 15 October 2006 23:45, Geert Stappers wrote:
> The thing I would like to see is that the _difference_ in device naming
> between d-i kernel plus fellows and installed kernel plus fellows is
> solved.

See the discussions that we have had about this in the past.
The culprit is the kernel/udev: that can load drivers in a different order
any time. It is not something we can solve in the installer.

The experts have said that using uuid is the best solution. I agree that
it is extremely ugly.