Re: Gtk 2.10 (DirectFB) progress report - update

Dave Beckett wrote:

<snip/>

No, do not do this.

I already said that I won't change/bloat the cairo+directfb udebs
that are for the installer.  They don't need PDF and PS support
and do need lib/dev debs that match the udeb so that other udebs
can be built against them, such as the gtk+directfb udeb.

If your only concern is about cairodfb size, i guess having the system libraries passing thru mklibs before being installed into the d-i ISO image will cut away any unneded symbol like all the GTK+ printing stuff. PS and PDF cairo's backends are required by the printing stuff introduced in GTK 2.10 series, which is usually unuseful in embedded devices. I remember plans for post 2.10 GTK+ releases were to allow selective disabling compilation of the printing stuff, but there is little chance this feature to be introduced in GTK 2.10 series.

- to rebuild Cairo against the new DirectFB which changes SONAME, I
 hope an upload to experimental will be possible once DirectFB is
 uploaded but I've not requested that yet

current cairo-directfb depends from DFB 0.9.25, so i guess this is solved ?

Correct, this was only required because of the first point.

Is this gtk bump is really required for the etch release?
At this stage I'm not seeing why gtk+directfb is a priority to have
versus having stability of libraries.

Current GTKDFB 2.8.20 libraries found in debian repositories contain an old DFB backend i backported some months ago from GTK 2.9.x, and this backends not only has poor performance in some cases, but is also affected by a couple of serious bugs (like #385026) that were solved in GTK+ 2.10.2 release.

If necessary we'll have to make a 3rd rebuild of cairo.  I'm wondering
about having two source packages, one that builds the udeb+deb
cairo+directfb minimal (which can be subjected to release freezes)
and the other that builds the cairo/cairo+directfb with full features.

Or can I just enable directfb in the main cairo build?  Do you really
want a cairo with no X?

Yes, please: the GTK on DFB project is raising interest between people involved in embedded linux development because the possibility to run a GTK app without running an X server too.

Attilio