Re: mipsel install failure in gxemul-ated decstation

Michel Lespinasse wrote:
[snip]
> What happens is that t-rex builds an ecoff image, I suppose this is what
> the firmware on a real decstation would boot. However gxemul does not have
> any firmware, it only knows how to load an ELF file and get it started.
> Well supposedly it should also be able to load a binary file such as the
> initrd image, but for some reason I've been unable to figure out the glue
> to make that work. So what I need is the debian kernel + initrd image
> in a single ELF file.

Maybe you can convert the initrd into a cpio archive and append it at
the kernel image. I heard this is supposed to work, I haven't tried it
myself.

> The way to go apparently is to build a kernel with the mips config option
> CONFIG_EMBEDDED_RAMDISK so that the initrd image is embedded with the
> kernel image. I'll try that tomorrow and see what happens. Incidently
> this is also how I got confused as I did not know my kernel image had
> such an embedded initrd image (with the sarge installer... grumpf :)

CONFIG_EMBEDDED_RAMDISK is obsolete and was removed a while ago from
upstream kernels.

Thiemo