Re: Tests with PPPoE connection

On 23/08/06, Abel McClendon <abel@alltel.net> wrote:
hi,
actually it's a different error that occurs after the 'mv'.
the "mv" fixes one issue.

I understand.

the other issue has to do with which physical device is actually
connected to the DSL service provider. (usually in my case(s) a bridged
modem/router.)

I shouldn't matter. The second error is due to somebody spilling
messages into debconf.

debconf pollution? Now that's not nice ;-) but sounds right.

the way the install progresses from netcfg to pppconfig is another one
problem. when i do an install over a DSL connection... all i need is
the ppp0 for install purposes...

I know, it annoyed me also during my tests. It could be fixed by
setting a higher priority for the ppp-udeb menu entry (17 instead of
18), which would lead to it being firstly probed. This would make
sense since if one loads ppp-udeb it is most likely he/she wants to
use ppp and not a regular.

The main concern regading this was expressed by Marco (iirc) which
said that there are setups where ppp should be ran on an interface
which gets its IP via DHCP (allowing the ppp request connection to be
whitelisted for that IP). Still I wonder how usual this setup is and I
fear that in most cases the right thing would be to just run plain
ppp-udeb.

d-i won't let me proceed that way(or I haven't found it..)

There isn't yet for default install. You need to lower priority and
run by hand directly the PPPoE menu entry.

PPPoE-Config-
-pick the physical device(eth0, eth1, ...(if more than 1)

That is picked automatically via probing for a concentrator. Before
trying to probe, the interface is up-ed if it was not, otherwise is
left up. Interfaces which were up-ed by ppp-udeb, specially for
probing are down-ed if probing is unsuccessful.

-get username and pass
-bring up the provider pppoe(ppp0)
-(ppp0) fixes the routing(if not user provide the default)
-(ppp0) adds the name servers(if not user provide the name servers)
- PPPoE-Config complete

That is mainly the way is implemented, except the last part is more
ambiguous (saves configuration) and would eb a good thing if it would
be closer to what the regular ppp deb does to store and link the
configuration (this would allow the settings to play nice with other
components and would be the right thing).

would work in my case...or something like that...

I will retry an install tonight.. (EDT) and attempt to get a much
better handle on it.

Thanks.

Is there a way to not have the netcfg option... just ether detection?

That is "built in" the installer (in the sense that the priority and
name of the item determine the order of running  them). That priority
is 18 for both netcfg and ppp-udeb and, unfortunately, since "n"<"p",
netcfg gets there first. As I said, I think the fix would be to give
ppp-udeb a priority lower than 18 (namely 17) so is sorted before
netcfg.

Detection (in the sense that detects what drivers are needed for the
Ethernet interfaces in the system) the will be done automaticaly,
since ppp-udeb depends on it. The up-down dance needed to concentrator
probing is done correctly by ppp-udeb, AFAI have tested it.

In conclusion, if ppp-udeb's prio is lowered to 17, it should do it
(unless something in d-i policy forbids it, thing which I don't
know/remember to be case).

I had the same issue he(Mr. Colpart) had even after i did the patch
b4 it asked for user name.

I think you may be right the postinst script is picking a non-fatal
error.

I *know* I am right ;-) , I have seen this symptom one too many times
to not understand what is the cause ;-)

--
Regards,
EddyP