Re: Tests with PPPoE connection

On 24/08/06, Gregory Colpart <reg@evolix.fr> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 03:58:07PM +0300, Eddy Petri??or wrote:

> >Then my PPPoE connection is up correctly (I can wget web files
> >on busybox) even I have the red screen [!!] Configure and start a
> >PPPoE connection, "Installation step failed": "An installation
> >step failed. [...] The failing step is: multiselect backup
> >progresscancel plugin-entropy-text." after entering PPP password.
>
> Hmm, you are saying that you get this error even if you move the
> pppoe.so plugin in the proper place?

Yes.

Well, I'll have to see which is the prick, but I will have to lookover
the postinst code to see what is changed from what I sent to what has
actually been released (I went great lengths to make sure nothing is
spilled into debconf and wasted a lot of time on this, just because
this was annoying and frustrating, but this resulted in some ugly
looking code, which was modified by Marco at merge time).

Things should be easier now, as I have found ou about DEBCONF_DEBUG.

Could you please set DEBCONF_DEBUG=5 at boot time and run the PPPoE
step (after doing the move of the plugin) and send the relevant log
section?

Relevant means from where it says the PPPoE manu was selected until
the place where it gives the errorwith "multiselect backup".

You can save the logs via the menu entry:
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch06s03.html#save-logs

> That error is the classical case of debconf polution, so I suspect
> some unexpected output from either of the commands in the postinst
> script.
>
> May I suggest doing the move from console 2 before entering the PPP
> username. Please tell me if the error message still appears.

I did the move from tty2 before entering in PPPoE menu.
Then error message still appears.

I need that output I was talking before.

> Maybe is time to compare the patch I sent in BTS with the one that
> ended up in the official package.
>
> >When I select 'continue', I return on 'Configure the network'
> >entry but my network connection is now ready. I will try to
> >retry/investiguate tomorrow.
>
> So the PPPoE connection is actually up?

Yes, and works fine.

That means that there is a message which is printed by some command
which is not redirected to /dev/null and ends up as input for debconf.

> Note that (almost?) always in my tests the concentrator was not found
> from the first attempt after a fresh boot, but the search did succeed
> in later probes. Have you ever encountered this problem? (I was never
> sure if this was a provider issue or a coding issue and I would be
> glad to sort it out.)

With my two or three tests, concentrator was found from the first
attempt after fresh boot.

Cool, then it could have been my test machine or my old ISP (which is
not at all implausible).

--
Regards,
EddyP