Re: OldWorld Mac-specific problems; perhaps drop?

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 11:42:23AM -0400, Rick Thomas wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2006, at 10:36 AM, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> Daniel wrote:
> >>
> >>Do you have any message numbers?  Remember I've only started with
> >>powerpc debian recently, so I'm not one of the 'everyone' that
> >>'should
> >>be aware of it'.  Also, if you're saying that new powerpc users
> >>should
> >>be aware that miBoot is the official way to boot, I think you're
> >>mistaken.  The official manual is the usual way to find things out,
> >>not reading mailing list archives.
> >
> >google is your friend.
>
> That's unkind and unnecessary.  He's right.  The official manual *is*

Indeed, i am just pointing out that as of the sarge release the manual was
severly outdated and inaccurate on powerpc, especially for everything except
newworld pmacs booted with yaboot from CD.

> the official source for such information.  A newbie (who probably
> doesn't even know the keywords to google for) should *not* have to
> use google to find out how to boot his or her old Mac in Debian.  The
> information should be in the manual.

Ah, he was asking about the discussion concerning miboot. Well, i could use
google or the mailing list archive to find out and give him nice urls or
something, but he can do so as well himself, especially as i don't have time
for such a hunt myself.

> That said, the powerpc version of the manual is in terrible shape and
> desperately needs editing and bringing up-to-date.  Any help on that
> would be appreciated.

Indeed, just what i was saying.

Friendly,

Sven Luther