Re: Scary message on new installations

(I think that a crosspost to -boot is deserved here)

Quoting Frans Pop (elendil@planet.nl):
> On Tuesday 20 June 2006 14:15, Frans Pop wrote:
> > Currently X shows a very scary message that upgrades may go wrong
> > (template: x11-common/upgrade_issues) on new installations.
>
> Note that Joey Hess filed this as http://bugs.debian.org/372077 a while
> back. We are currently considering upgrading that to RC as we feel we
> cannot release D-I Beta3 wile this note is still being displayed for new
> installations.
>
> A reaction would be appreciated.

David indeed reacted to a very similar message I posted (see below for
my message and answers).

My understanding is that David doesn't actually know how to handle
this properly to be sure about warning when users upgrade (which seems
important).

I agree that this should be RC in D-I point of view. We certainly
cannot ship with that message displayed on every default install.

(personal note: too bad that I'm actually too busy at work and home to
meet David who's currently in Paris.....:-|)