Re: Scary message on new installations

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 06:57:37AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> (I think that a crosspost to -boot is deserved here)

> Quoting Frans Pop (elendil@planet.nl):
> > On Tuesday 20 June 2006 14:15, Frans Pop wrote:
> > > Currently X shows a very scary message that upgrades may go wrong
> > > (template: x11-common/upgrade_issues) on new installations.

> > Note that Joey Hess filed this as http://bugs.debian.org/372077 a while
> > back. We are currently considering upgrading that to RC as we feel we
> > cannot release D-I Beta3 wile this note is still being displayed for new
> > installations.

> > A reaction would be appreciated.

> David indeed reacted to a very similar message I posted (see below for
> my message and answers).

> My understanding is that David doesn't actually know how to handle
> this properly to be sure about warning when users upgrade (which seems
> important).

> I agree that this should be RC in D-I point of view. We certainly
> cannot ship with that message displayed on every default install.

Since this warning note has been added specifically because the xserver is
being removed in situations we don't want it to, and the removal is being
caused by a new package that didn't exist in sarge, it is indeed very
difficult to detect the difference between an upgrade and a new install.

For d-i's purposes, preseeding this d-i note into oblivion is an option, but
it would be much nicer if someone could figure out how to keep the xserver
from being removed on upgrade in the first place.