Re: Status of debian-installer for the native ppc64 port

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 10:45:23PM +0200, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 06-Jun-19 20:16, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Ok. I am ready to work on this with you, can you give me details on what
> > problems you did encounter and some kind of status report.
>
> the last time I tried to implement the cross-installation was
> quite a while ago. I do not remember all the details of my
> problems.
>
> I tried to make a minimal change to the 32-bit installer which gave an
> extra '--arch ppc64' parameter to the debootstrap command. I also tried
> to implement an extra menu to select between the powerpc and the ppc64
> port on 64-bit machines.
>
> I did not get a working installation with this approach. There
> were still many different problems with the ppc64 installation process
> in general at that time. Most of these problems were probably not related
> to the cross-installation part. I had problems to boot the kernel,
> problems with kernel module loading, with the handling of the
> inofficial ppc64 package archive, with the selection of the correct
> ppc64 kernel and with the installation of yaboot.

BTW, is there a profund difference between the ppc64 kernels and the powerpc64
powerpc arch kernels ?

> In the end I gave up and stopped working on that approach. A few month
> later I started again to work on the installer, but this time I tried to
> create a separate native ppc64 d-i port. This turned out to be pretty easy
> and the resulting installer almost worked out of the box.
> So I did not return to the cross-installation idea.

I feel that it is the best solution for this, which should satisfy everyone,
so if at least Frans agrees on this plan too, we can try to work in that
direction.

> > I will be away
> > until thursday evening though, so it will have to wait for next WE.
>
> I will also be away until Saturday.

Ok, let's think about it a bit more, and work on it next WE.

> > BTW, what hardware do you have access to ? Can you try booting :
>
> I have access to a PowerMac G5 1.8 GHz.
>
> > Can you try booting :
> >
> >   http://people.debian.org/~luther/debian-installer-64bit-2
>
> What kind of image is this? What would be the easiest way to boot it
> on my G5?

ah, no chance, it is a ibm chrp zImage, with console=hvc0, to run in a virtual
partition.

Friendly,

Sven Luther