Re: Status of debian-installer for the native ppc64 port

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 10:45:23PM +0200, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> Hello,
> On 06-Jun-19 20:16, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Ok. I am ready to work on this with you, can you give me details on what
> > problems you did encounter and some kind of status report.
> the last time I tried to implement the cross-installation was
> quite a while ago. I do not remember all the details of my
> problems.
> I tried to make a minimal change to the 32-bit installer which gave an
> extra '--arch ppc64' parameter to the debootstrap command. I also tried
> to implement an extra menu to select between the powerpc and the ppc64
> port on 64-bit machines.
> I did not get a working installation with this approach. There
> were still many different problems with the ppc64 installation process
> in general at that time. Most of these problems were probably not related
> to the cross-installation part. I had problems to boot the kernel,
> problems with kernel module loading, with the handling of the
> inofficial ppc64 package archive, with the selection of the correct
> ppc64 kernel and with the installation of yaboot.

BTW, is there a profund difference between the ppc64 kernels and the powerpc64
powerpc arch kernels ?

> In the end I gave up and stopped working on that approach. A few month
> later I started again to work on the installer, but this time I tried to
> create a separate native ppc64 d-i port. This turned out to be pretty easy
> and the resulting installer almost worked out of the box.
> So I did not return to the cross-installation idea.

I feel that it is the best solution for this, which should satisfy everyone,
so if at least Frans agrees on this plan too, we can try to work in that

> > I will be away
> > until thursday evening though, so it will have to wait for next WE.
> I will also be away until Saturday.

Ok, let's think about it a bit more, and work on it next WE.

> > BTW, what hardware do you have access to ? Can you try booting :
> I have access to a PowerMac G5 1.8 GHz.
> > Can you try booting :
> >
> >   http://people.debian.org/~luther/debian-installer-64bit-2
> What kind of image is this? What would be the easiest way to boot it
> on my G5?

ah, no chance, it is a ibm chrp zImage, with console=hvc0, to run in a virtual

Sven Luther