Re: Status of debian-installer for the native ppc64 port

Hello,

On 06-Jun-19 19:26, Sven Luther wrote:
> Andreas, the powerpc 64bit archive may or may not be of interest, but since it
> is perfectly ok to install a native powerpc 64bit system from the 32bit
> installer, would your effort not be better invested in adding functionality to
> the normal 32bit installer to select a 64bit archive and install that ?
>
> I mean you can already cross-debootstrap, so it should work relatively easily,
> without needing much patching.

this is most probably true. It should be possible to add some kind of
menu to the 32-bit installer which would allow to the user to
select 'ppc64' instead of 'powerpc' and cross-install the native 64-bit
port on ppc64 machines.

I even tried this, but somehow I did not have success with it.
I guess I do not yet know enough about the internals of d-i to
get this right.

It was easier for me to create a normal separate ppc64 port of d-i
than to implement the cross-installation mechanism that you have in
mind.

Regards
Andreas Jochens