Re: Request for a DFB version of libcairo2

Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 08 June 2006 08:03, Dave Beckett wrote:
>> to include a libcairo2-directfb-udeb-dev package
>
> Hmm. There seems to be some misunderstanding here:
> - the -dev package is needed when _building_ other udebs that use the
>   libcairo-directfb libs
> - so, the -dev package isn't a udeb and will never be used in the
>   installer itself, so it should not have a .udeb extention
> - it could in theory be used for other purposes than the installer

Ahh.

> I think that also means that we are still missing one other package as
> AFAIK a -dev package normally depends on a corresponding regular library
> package. That would mean a package: libcairo2-directfb_1.1.6-1_i386.deb
>
> So, we'd have:
> - libcairo2_1.1.6-1_i386.deb
> - libcairo2-dev_1.1.6-1_i386.deb
>
> - libcairo2-directfb_1.1.6-1_i386.deb
> - libcairo2-directfb-dev_1.1.6-1_i386.deb
> - libcairo2-directfb-udeb_1.1.6-1_i386.udeb
>
> - libcairo2-doc_1.1.6-1_all.deb
>
> The "regular" and "-directfb" lib and -dev packages would need to be
> co-installable on a regular Debian system.

That's not possible since both -dev packages have to provide the same file
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/cairo.pc and conflict, so that 'pkgconfig cairo --libs'
etc. work in dependent packages.  There's no 'pkgconfig cairo-directfb --libs'.

It could be made so that libcairo2 & libcairo2-directfb are co-installable
(under /usr/lib/libcairo-directfb) but the libcairo2-dev and
libcairo2-directfb-dev must conflict/replace each other.

Dave