Re: distributed version control systems

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 01:02:20AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 18 May 2006 23:28, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > If you are the maintainer of nobootloader, and you are not allowed to
> > commit to the d-i svn repo, then it is appropriate to request that the
> > d-i maintainers deprecate the svn repo for these packages.
>
> Well, as far as Joey and I are concerned, the d-i team is the maintainer
> of nobootloader. We have the policy that all udebs in the SVN repository
> have debian-boot@lists.debian.org as maintainer making them all
> essentially group maintained and owned by the subproject, not by
> individual contributers.
> The original author and others are only listed as uploaders.

This is indeed how it should be. Now my problem is that i dislike, for obvious
reasons, to work on packages without the security-net of a well working
revision system to bedocument the changes and be able to back up in case of
severe mis-manipulation or something. I guess this is an understandable
position.

> In a reply to #366938 [1] I have explained that and why we would consider
> an upload with changed maintainer field of any package currently in the
> d-i SVN to be a hijack to which we will react appropriately.
> This is not meant as a threat; I'm just stating our position.

Well, yes and no. I believe that a package belongs to the guy who is doing the
work on it, and not to anyone else. This is how debian has worked long, and it
is acceptable to hijack a package which is not well enough maintained by the
official maintainer. This has been done in the past often enough.

> We are willing to discuss transferring ownership of packages on a case by
> case basis, although the arguments and assurances for the continuity of
> debian-installer will have to be very strong.
>
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=366938;msg=50

No. The reasonable thing to do is to restore my svn commit, and let me do the
work i need doing in the d-i svn repo directly. This is the only solution
which would allow me to do hassle less work, and at the same time in the best
interest of d-i and debian.

I have never abused my vn commit right, and promise to only work on pegasos,
prep and apus support, and maybe a few other things, which are not under the
responsability of Colin Watson as lead powerpc d-i porter.

Also, there is another thing to consider, i will need to do some nobootlaoder
changes in the near future, before we can release the new version of the
pegasos firmware, so that debian will not break on it (and since we ship those
boxes with debian on it, ...), and i will possibly not be able to wait while
all of you are taking post-debconf vacations in mexico :)

Friendly,

Sven Luther