Re: distributed version control systems

On Thursday 18 May 2006 23:28, Steve Langasek wrote:
> If you are the maintainer of nobootloader, and you are not allowed to
> commit to the d-i svn repo, then it is appropriate to request that the
> d-i maintainers deprecate the svn repo for these packages.

Well, as far as Joey and I are concerned, the d-i team is the maintainer
of nobootloader. We have the policy that all udebs in the SVN repository
have debian-boot@lists.debian.org as maintainer making them all
essentially group maintained and owned by the subproject, not by
individual contributers.
The original author and others are only listed as uploaders.

In a reply to #366938 [1] I have explained that and why we would consider
an upload with changed maintainer field of any package currently in the
d-i SVN to be a hijack to which we will react appropriately.
This is not meant as a threat; I'm just stating our position.

We are willing to discuss transferring ownership of packages on a case by
case basis, although the arguments and assurances for the continuity of
debian-installer will have to be very strong.

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=366938;msg=50