Re: distributed version control systems

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 04:28:27PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 10:20:12PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Imagine i upload a new nobootloader version, with some changes in it. I either
> > upload it directly, without revision system, or with my own shadow copy of the
> > d-i svn like above.
>
> > Now, someone else needs to modify nobootloader. He is not aware of my changes,
> > commits to the d-i svn, and uploads the package. My changes are lost.
>
> If you are the maintainer of nobootloader, and you are not allowed to commit
> to the d-i svn repo, then it is appropriate to request that the d-i
> maintainers deprecate the svn repo for these packages.

Well, i am the original author, and have some changes pending. I know others
have in the past done significant changes to nobootloader too.

> Of course, if you begin with the assumption that the d-i team is
> unreasonable, it's only natural that you're going to run into problems...

No, i begin with the assumption, that such situations can cause a mess. That
there is a relative high possibility of confusion, due to random little
details and miscomunication, and whatever. And it will forcibly someday cause
a mess because of this, because i will forget to send a my changes to the
list, because someone at the other end will be too busy to do it immediately
and forget, because ...

So, this is far from being an ideal situation.

Friendly,

Sven Luther