Re: installation issue: "No partitionable media were found"

On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 10:36:40AM -0800, Asirvatham Kripps wrote:
> --- Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 03:31:20AM +0100, Frans Pop
> > wrote:
> > > On Saturday 01 January 2005 03:21, Asirvatham Kripps wrote:
   <snip/>
> > > Try booting with 'linux26'.
> > That will work, but read on.
                        ^^^^

> > > However, be aware that SATA in some respects is still under development.
> > > We see quite a few installation reports with problems on SATA hardware.
> > > Changing BIOS settings or cable connections sometimes helps.
> > IIRC the Dell SC420 has no such option in it is BIOS
> > (but it is not needed,
> > the standard Debian 2.6 Kernel has ata_piix support)
> >
> > > Things are sure to improve with time (maybe even using patches from
> > > Red Hat that trickle back into the kernel sources).
> > Asirvatham and others don't need to wait for ata_piix support
> > in the 2.4 kernel, booting Debian-Installer with 'linux26' will do the
> > trick.
> >
> > After the base install, Dell SC420 users will
    ^^^^^

> > encounter bug #277298[1]
> >
> > Meanwhile is a workaround available. For easy
> > installation I have made
> > a script, fetch it with
> >
> >   wget
> > http://people.debian.org/~stappers/w/277298.sh
> >
> > then run it with
> >
> >   sh 277298.sh
> >
> > and please confirm that it worked[2]
> >

> Hi,
>
> The Dell SC-420 is a new machine with nothing on it
> and I'm trying to install Debian from scratch. And I'm
> not sure how I can use the "277298.sh"  patch, since
> I'm stuck in the installation process.
>
> More info:
> 1. The problem of "No partitionable media were found"
> was on the latest version of Sarge.
> 2. I tried "linux-30r3" and the installation hangs
> after the following message:
>    hde: wdb wd800jd-75 HKA1, ATA Disk Drive
>    ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7, 0x3f6 on irq 14
> 3. Although the Dell SC-420 supports RAID, I have only
> one primary hard drive in the system.
>
> I'm a newbie on installing Debian, so I'm assuming
> Sarge has linux26.

Yes, the installer for sarge has a 2.6 kernel available.
To actived it, type after "boot:"

  linux26

> Thanks,
> Kripps/-
> >

> > Cheers
> > Geert Stappers
> >
> > [1] http:/bugs.debian.org/277298
> > [2] or needs some fine tuning
> >

> > P.S.
> >
> > Tell your hardware vendor which software you prefer.
Or go to a hardware vendor who allready supports
the software that you prefer.

Geert Stappers
--
Because it is the logical order.