Re: Debian Sarge Installer Problems (SATA) - Custom d-i with kernel 2.6.12

Christian Perrier schrieb:
After serveral days of work and I'm allready desperated, is there no
other way to install debian sarge on my machine without compiling a
installer first? After thinking about it I'm a little bit confused about
the installation situation of Debian. To install a operating system on a
computer with a sata drive, I have to "develop" a new installer?? There
must be a trick, please let me know. Perhaps anybody can send me a
download link to a d-i with a kernel version >= 2.6.12?

Given the big number of problems you may expect, I would suggest
installing testing on this notebook, maybe.

For sure, recommending you to use anything but the stable and
supported release of Debian might be surprising but it will certainly
be better than fighting  hard with the installer and ending up in the
installation of another distribution.

Debian testing now has a fairly good security support, thanks to the
efforts of the testing security team, so it shouldn't really be a big
problem.

Another option, if you need something which is a less moving target
than Debian testing, is installing Ubuntu 5.10....

Thank you for all your answers, the idea of Ubuntu 5.10 was a gread deal for me!

Bernhard