Debian Sarge Installer Problems (SATA) - Custom d-i with kernel 2.6.12

Hi,

I tried to install Debian Sarge 3.1 (from 2 DVDs) on my Fujitsu Lifebook 8020 (Company-Notebook). Unfortunatly this Notebooks consists of a SATA Harddisk which causes great problems. The Debian-Sarge-Installer doesn't recognise my harddisk. The required driver/module for this controller is ahci (libata), which is supported since kernel version 2.6.12 or later. AFAIK the debian-installer 3.1 uses the 2.6.8.-er kernel which obviously doesn't support the scsi-emulating ahci driver. So I tried do build a debian installer using the kernel from the testing/etch installer, without any success. I read serveral tutorials (DebianInstallerModify, Building Debian Installer images with a custom kernel) but I wasn't able to persuade my notebook to accept the 2.6.12-er kernel (The d-i complained about different kernel and module versions).

After serveral days of work and I'm allready desperated, is there no other way to install debian sarge on my machine without compiling a installer first? After thinking about it I'm a little bit confused about the installation situation of Debian. To install a operating system on a computer with a sata drive, I have to "develop" a new installer?? There must be a trick, please let me know. Perhaps anybody can send me a download link to a d-i with a kernel version >= 2.6.12?

any help would be appreciated...
Bernhard Kahlbacher

--

DI (FH) Bernhard Kahlbacher