Re: [g-i] fonts: a few thoughts

Frans Pop wrote:
On Saturday 10 December 2005 11:06, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:

I noticed that gtkrc settings have no effect on fonts eventually used
by the GTK;  ATM you can make the GTK frontend use a different font
from freesans only if you hand-delete unwanted other fonts (freefont
directory, in the case).

I am still not convinced that we need this option at all for font switching, although we may need it for other features (like changing the theme).

My personal feeling is that making sure there are no overlaps between fonts (stripping them so that only needed characters remain) is the best way to proceed.
This has the advantage of making sure:
- the correct font is used for translations
- that English (Latin) text within translations is displayed nicely
- font size is reduced as much as possible

The only potential complication I've seen so far is the shared code points between CJK languages.

I have to admit i've not followed the thread about g-i fonts too closely, but it seems to me that the final proposed solution to this issue was:

-Stripping duplicated glyphs everywhere it's possible, so that fonts space usage is reduced as much as possible.

-When stripping duplicated glyphs is not possible/advisable [1], then the gtkrc file should be properly setup so that the GTK frontend, at every frontend_go() call, is instructed to use a specialized font instead of the default "FreeSans" font.

I've just sent a mail to gtk-app-devel@gnome.org, asking for a specialized and wise advice (i've CC'ed debian-boot too): i hope they can help us.

ciao

Attilio

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/12/msg00280.html