Re: [g-i] fonts: a few thoughts

Hidetaka Iwai wrote:
Unfortunately I found that gdk_event_send_clientmessage_toall in
gdk/linux-fb/gdkevents-fb.c is empty. If we want to instruct to reload rc files from external process, we can't use
gdk_event_send_clientmessage_toall, so we have to find a different
solution :(

actually, we use the directfb gdk library, not the linux-fb; sadly, gdk_event_send_clientmessage_toall in gdk/directfb/gdkevents-directfb.c is empty too :(

Uh, yes, I should have looked gdk-directfb.  I also checked the cvs
repository of directfb, but the condition is unchanged :(  I tried to
implement gdk_event_send_clientmessage_toall for gdk-directfb, but it
has not worked yet.

If we should find this to be necessary for font loading via gtkrc file to work, we could then ask mike emmel to have a look at that; anyway if you've produced a patch why don't you send it to directfb-dev CC'ing mike emmel too? that could be useful and give him hints to work on..
ATM overriding font preferences generated by libfontconfig does not work
with gtkdfb: i'm soon going to do some tests using X instead of DFB into the g-i to see if the problem is DFB relted. I noticed that gtkrc settings have no effect on fonts eventually used by the GTK; ATM you can make the GTK frontend use a different font from freesans only if you hand-delete unwanted other fonts (freefont directory, in the case). If libfontconfig preferences cannot be overriden even with GTKX, then we need some help from gtk-app-devel guys on the patch that has to be applied to gtk.c: i plan to write them a mail today to have the alredy existing patch reviewed. If they should state that gdk_event_send_clientmessage_toall() cannot be a dummy function and must be implemented, then we'll have to wait until mike comes back from a journey that will last all next week.

ciao

Attilio