Re: [g-i] fonts: a few thoughts

Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> wrote:

> On Sunday 04 December 2005 09:40, Kenshi Muto wrote:
> > To solve this, I think it's better to provide /.gtkrc-2.0 according to
> > chosen language.
>
> This may work for dialogs after the language has been selected, but we'd
> still have the issue for the language selection screen itself.
> I'd prefer a solution where the correct font is selected based on unicode
> range, especially as implementing that also helps tackle the size
> problem. If that proves impossible, then this would be a good option to
> check further.

There are some problems with the approach based on Unicode range.

 1. With the approach based on Unicode range,  ASCII and other
 characters are displayed by the different fonts, and this may look
 mismatched.  (It is as if to treat "courier" the same as "new century").

 2. In CJK Unified Ideographs, there are characters whose glyph is
 different by country.  For example, there are 440 code points shared
 by Japanese and Chinese po files of d-i 1st stage, and [1]U+5F37 and
 [2]U+7F6E are different(left: Sazanami Gothic, right: ShanHeiSun-Uni).

 1. http://hp.debian.or.jp/~tyuyu/debian-installer/5f37.png
 2. http://hp.debian.or.jp/~tyuyu/debian-installer/7f6e.png

 I suggest using freefont or the range based approach only in the
 language selection screen, and after the language is selected, set
 the primary font according to the selected language (and refresh the
 screen).

Best regards,
--
 Hidetaka Iwai