Re: [g-i] fonts: a few thoughts

Attilio Fiandrotti <fiandro@tiscalinet.it> wrote:

> > If we can put the gtkrc reloading code into gtk.so, gtk_rc_reparse_all()
> > will be enough.  Here are [1][2][3]the screen shots.  For Chinese user,
> > we embedded 12pt bitmap font to zh.ttf.
> >
> >  1. http://hp.debian.or.jp/~tyuyu/debian-installer/ja.jpg
> >  2. http://hp.debian.or.jp/~tyuyu/debian-installer/ko.jpg
> >  3. http://hp.debian.or.jp/~tyuyu/debian-installer/zh.jpg
>
> so this is the correct way ja, ko and zh languages should look, right? I
> didn't understand how did you take those snapshots: using the old gtk.so
> or the new one? hand-removing unwanted fonts or not?

I used the new gtk.so applied the patch attached to my previous
mail, and I used ttf-compact-fonts-udeb 1.6 only.  I think ja and ko
look good. zh looks almost good, but U+8A2D and U+5B9A are not taken
from zh.ttf but ja.ttf for unknown reason (I will have to check this).

> > Unfortunately I found that gdk_event_send_clientmessage_toall in
> > gdk/linux-fb/gdkevents-fb.c is empty.  If we want to instruct
> > to reload rc files from external process,  we can't use
> > gdk_event_send_clientmessage_toall, so we have to find a different
> > solution :(
>
> actually, we use the directfb gdk library, not the linux-fb; sadly,
> gdk_event_send_clientmessage_toall in gdk/directfb/gdkevents-directfb.c
> is empty too :(

Uh, yes, I should have looked gdk-directfb.  I also checked the cvs
repository of directfb, but the condition is unchanged :(  I tried to
implement gdk_event_send_clientmessage_toall for gdk-directfb, but it
has not worked yet.

> I'll try to do some more experiments with gtk.c to see if i can force
> GTK to override fonts settings taken by libfontconfig; from my previous
> experiments it looked like font preferences overridind worked only if
> unwanted fonts were hand-removed from the system.

I agree.  It will be nice if we can override fonts setting from gtk.so
or others.

Best regards,
--
 Hidetaka Iwai