Re: Re: Dell Dimension 3100: keyboard freezes / SATA hdd not found

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 05:11:06PM +0100, Geert Stappers wrote:
> That is what hardware manufactors do, they call it a new model ...

Sure, but most let you configure the hardware to _native_ mode in the
bios.  Dell insists on making sata hardware emulate ide so dos/windows
installers can proceed without a driver disk to support the hardware
that is to new for win xp to support directly.  This stupidity is part
of what makes Dell's so hard to deal with.

What would be the point of having an AHCI compliant SATA controller if
your bios won't let you use it as such but insists on making it into an
PIIX ide controller instead?  Dell would do that and usualyl not give
you the option to make it native.

> That is why I don't buy hardware is bundled with software I don't want.

Well it is a good reason to not buy Dell.  They really only support
Windows and RHEL.

> The sad thing is that _I_ do that only once in about three years.
> But hey, this message goes to a mailinglist.
>
> Cheers
> Geert Stappers
>
> P.S.
>
> Wish me strengh and wisedom to _not_ beat up a friend,
> who did buy a windows only WIFI networkcard.

Good luck. :)

Len Sorensen