Re: Re: Dell Dimension 3100: keyboard freezes / SATA hdd not found

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 03:40:18PM +0100, debian@tschirley.com wrote:
> I'm scared. Whenever I tried to use packages from two dists in the past,
> I was in big trouble with unmet package dependencies. The machines are
> going to be used in my compay's office and so for the first time in my
> Debian life, I prefer to use 'stable' instead of 'testing'. :-)
>
> But I'll consider this. At least, I'd the upcoming problems would be
> familiar to me...

Well it might also be possible to find an unofficial installer cd with
an updated kernel that better supports new hardware.  Dell has a habit
of using the latest hardware possible, and often in non standard modes
with no bios options to make it normal again.  That's just how things
are with Dell.  They are built to run windows and only windows as far as
Dell is concerned.

> Ok, maybe it's not only the keyboard. The installer stops at the first
> screen, even in noninteractive mode. Bad luck, I'm not able to switch
> to console #3 to see the kernel output.
>
> Than you for your suggestions.

Sometimes keyboard problems (especially on dell's) can be fixed by
adding acpi=off to the boot options, or sometimes by enabling or
disabling usb legacy support in the bios (yes some systems need it on,
some need it off.  Stupid bios bugs.)

Len Sorensen