Re: Usability issues for the GTK graphical frontend, categorized and updated list

On 10/25/05, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 02:43:28PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > On Tuesday 25 October 2005 10:18, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > Cool, actually, if there where a way to build them from the official
> > > build system, i could build one myself, i was kind of waiting for that
> > > to be stabilized, but i think i understood from Franz's last mail that
> > > this is not quite the case yet.
> >
> > No, not quite. On the other hand, all the steps that need to be taken
> > manually are fairly clearly documented in the wiki [1].
> >
> > The only thing that should need to be compiled manually are the frontend
> > and rootskel-gtk (which is trivial).
>
> Well, i have followed the instructions (would have been faster if Alistairs
> packages would have been uploaded somewhere else, but well ...), and it then
> fails with :
>
>   $ fakeroot make build_powerpc_gtk-miniiso
>   # Getting temporary GTK tarballs...
>   mkdir -p ./tmp/powerpc_gtk-miniiso/gtk-tb
>   wget ""http://merci/debian/d-i_gtkfrontend/""; -O ./tmp/powerpc_gtk-miniiso/gtk-index
>   --14:11:34--  http://merci/debian/d-i_gtkfrontend/
>              => `./tmp/powerpc_gtk-miniiso/gtk-index'
>   Resolving merci... 194.206.126.204
>   Connecting to merci|194.206.126.204|:80... connected.
>   HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
>   14:11:39 ERROR 404: Not Found.
>
> And i think something is seriously wrong here, what are those tarballs, and
> why is it trying to wget them from some random place ?

:-)

well that (merci) is my machine :-)
I didn't got to the point of fixing that to make it localhost, as I
should have done from the start.

My configuration is a PowerBook 5,2 model (ATI Radeon 9700 Mobility)

I managed to make that iso image build, but not yet functional in
graphical mode (stroboscope effect, as I call it), but it works with
newt, so it seems to be an arch specific issue.

I can provide a broken iso on my router:
http;//217.156.51.213/debian/mini.iso

The tgz-s are available at
http://217.156.51.213/debian/d-i_gtkfrontend and they are fonts that
are needed in the iso and the gtk.so library which is not present in
any place as an udeb.

You could ask Frans for more info on this issue. (the tgz-s are a way
to get past the problem that there is no udebs available for some of
the needed stuff in the GTK fe)

The image in question didn't had any library reduction yet.
If you could debug the problem would be really nice (I didn't had the
time to do this myself, as I was really busy lately)

> > Eddy has already done work on creating the configuration files needed for
> > PPC and a lot of that has been committed to my people branch in SVN.
>
> Ah, maybe some bits are missing ?

Nah, is just a wrong host (plase rename merci into 217.156.51.213 and
it should work fine, or you could, alternatively build your own tgz to
be faster.

Another option would be to store the ppc d-i_gtk_fe.tgz on frans' page
under a special directory, or on your page; in any case I am fine with
it.

> > There may be additional tweaking needed in boot/ config/ and pkg-lists/.
> > rootskel-gtk is another place where specific actions may be required prior
> > to starting d-i.

Probably not, as I have took care of those...
The only things you might need might be the localudebs (
http://217.156.51.213/debian/d-i_gtkfrontend/localudebs ) which are
exact copies of the ones in the official archive - probably the
rootskel was updated and a few others, but the list of udebs might be
helpful ;-)

good luck and please ask, if you have any more questions.

--
Regards,
EddyP