Re: Usability issues for the GTK graphical frontend, categorized and updated list

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 02:43:28PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 October 2005 10:18, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Cool, actually, if there where a way to build them from the official
> > build system, i could build one myself, i was kind of waiting for that
> > to be stabilized, but i think i understood from Franz's last mail that
> > this is not quite the case yet.
>
> No, not quite. On the other hand, all the steps that need to be taken
> manually are fairly clearly documented in the wiki [1].
>
> The only thing that should need to be compiled manually are the frontend
> and rootskel-gtk (which is trivial).

Well, i have followed the instructions (would have been faster if Alistairs
packages would have been uploaded somewhere else, but well ...), and it then
fails with :

  $ fakeroot make build_powerpc_gtk-miniiso
  # Getting temporary GTK tarballs...
  mkdir -p ./tmp/powerpc_gtk-miniiso/gtk-tb
  wget ""http://merci/debian/d-i_gtkfrontend/""; -O ./tmp/powerpc_gtk-miniiso/gtk-index
  --14:11:34--  http://merci/debian/d-i_gtkfrontend/
             => `./tmp/powerpc_gtk-miniiso/gtk-index'
  Resolving merci... 194.206.126.204
  Connecting to merci|194.206.126.204|:80... connected.
  14:11:39 ERROR 404: Not Found.

And i think something is seriously wrong here, what are those tarballs, and
why is it trying to wget them from some random place ?

> Eddy has already done work on creating the configuration files needed for
> PPC and a lot of that has been committed to my people branch in SVN.

Ah, maybe some bits are missing ?

> There may be additional tweaking needed in boot/ config/ and pkg-lists/.
> rootskel-gtk is another place where specific actions may be required prior
> to starting d-i.

Friendly,

Sven Luther