Re: FW: [directfb-dev] Gtk 2.8.3 Directfb backend in CVS

Viti Davide wrote:
Good news!

-----Original Message-----
From: directfb-dev-bounces@directfb.org [mailto:directfb-dev-bounces@directfb.org] On Behalf Of Mike Emmel
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 2:21 PM
To: directfb-dev@directfb.org
Subject: [directfb-dev] Gtk 2.8.3 Directfb backend in CVS

The gtk backend has been updated to support gtk 2.8.3 and the cairo support has been upgraded to support  cairo-1.0.2. The cairo support is far from complete but its now a real cairo backend.

Mike

this is really good news, especially after all the difficulties we've encountered in packaging and making work correctly gtk.so and gtkdfb 2.0.9 togheter.

I think it's anyway a bit premature thinking of switching straight to gtk 2.8.3 right now: it's better to stay with GTK 2.0.9 for a little still, since we're close to make gtk.so work with existing gtkdfb 2.0.9 udeb by Alastair.

And we also need to make some experiments to know if this library work as it 's supposed to do with the debian-installer: Davide could you update your scripts at http://wiki.debian.net/?DebianInstallerGUIBuild that pull sources from cvs and compile them to use GTK 2.8.3 ? I'll build then a new set of .tgz that, mixed up with existing udebs (like libdirectfb, libpango, libfontconfig, libfreetype, rootskel, mouse modules) should allow us to test the new libraries togheter with existing udebs by creating miniiso images.

Even if gtk 2.8.3 should work fine it would be better waiting for its gdkdfb backend to be integrated into official gtk sources or not? i'm going to ask this question on gtk-evel and directfb-dev too..

Many components of a GTK 2.8.x system have never been packaged before into udebs (altough many have been previusly pckaged into regular .deb files) and we'll have to use a lot of .tgz archives.

ciao

Attilio