Re: Need help understanding tasksel ( adding packages to task)

nidr wrote:
> Lately I've been playing with the Tasksel.
> After a lot of help and reading I've finally managed to edit the tasks
> names and preferences.
> But that lead me to just another issue.
> You see, I want to add additional packages to a task named 'test'.
> The task look like this:
>
> Task: test
> Relevance: 10
> Section: user
>  With this task I hope I can install Fluxbox
> Key:
>   fluxbox
> Packages:
>   # None
>
> I do not get any errors while installing my Debian system. I've
> updated the Packages.gz and md5sum.txt with the correct values. But
> fluxbox just won't be installed, I've added fluxbox in the pool/main/f
> folder, and added it to Packages.gz / md5sum.txt file with the correct
> information.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
> I need a bit of help to understand the process of Tasksel

What you're doing wrong is using tasksel as it's meant to be used by
Debian or another large derived distribution, to define a lot of tasks
in a robust manner, and not as it's meant to be used by someone who just
wants to quickly add a single task.

This makes more sense if you look at what the above task file, when put
in tasksel/tasks/ is "compiled" into in debian-tasks.desc when you build
tasksel:

Task: test
Relevance: 10
Section: user
 With this task I hope I can install Fluxbox
Key:
  fluxbox
Packages: task-fields

In particular see what happened to the Packages: line. That makes
tasksel uses Task: fields added to the Packages file by overrides to
decide what to actually install when installing a task. Even a package
listed as Key is not selected for installation unless it has a Task
field listing the package.

Here's one way to do it that will work:

Task: fluxbox
Relevance: 10
Section: user
 With this task I hope I can install Fluxbox
Packages: fluxbox-list

Then create a program /usr/lib/tasksel/packages/fluxbox-list that outputs
the programs you want to include in the task. For example:

#!/bin/sh
echo fluxbox

Tasksel version 2.31 will make this clearer and also allow you to use
this simpler method for your custom task without needing to write a
fluxbox-list program:

Task: fluxbox
Relevance: 10
Section: user
 With this task I hope I can install Fluxbox
Packages: list
 fluxbox

--
see shy jo