Re: SATA install - AMD64 - success story

On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 03:14:19PM -0700, Jeff Breidenbach wrote:
> Success report.
>
> Hitachi 7k500 SATA hard drive
> Intel Pentium D 820 CPU
> ASUS P5WD2 Premium Edition motherboard
>
> I found that Ubuntu can install to the SATA drive but Debian Sarge
> cannot. I've used all sorts of remastered installers, including a
> 2.6.11 AMD64 version.  The problem was not detecting the disk, and was
> eventually solved by manually finding and doing an insmod on the
> ata_piix module (on the 2.6.11 remastered installer).  Hope this is
> helpful.

Could you check what mode your sata controller is in, in the bios?  On
my ICH5R board I had to put it in the native/enhanced mode rather than
the default combined mode for it to work.

It does work way better in native mode anyhow, except if you want to
install windows you will need a floppy to load the native sata driver
since it won't be emulating an old ide controller at all.  Due to this,
many boards ship with the emulation mode enabled (and Dell won't even
give you an option to turn that crap off).

Len Sorensen