Default suite installed by D-I

Quoting Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org):
> Christian Perrier wrote:
> > design choice...:-). I guess that Joey Hess could better explain
> > why...but, indeed, I'm wondering similarly : when will we make
> > "stable" the default choice for the installer at the key places?
>
> That will happen automatically when the stable symlink begins to point
> to sarge. At that point the installer will begin to use stable as its
> default suite. At least in theory .. I think I've tested this only once.

Well, feel free to send me to hell, but I still have problems to
understand here. As far as I see, the mirror/suite choice in debconf
is chosen among "stable", "testing" and "unstable" both in
choose-mirror and, in 2nd stage by apt-setup from abse-config.

We currently default it to "testing". So, what will happen when sarge
will have been released ? The installer will continue pointing users
to testing by default...and thus have them install etch....or is there
some magic I'm missing here?