Re: debian sarge (debian-installer system) dvdrom and floppy issues

On Sunday 20 March 2005 20:02, J. Grant wrote:
> My 3 1/2 inch floppy drive green access LED is permanently on.  My
> drive works fine when I reboot into win2k. I noticed that /dev/fd0 is
> missing. Should I just figure out a way to create it using MAKEDEV.  Or
> perhaps this problem in the sarge install is already known..?

I've not seen this problem before.
Did you install the desktop task or Gnome? In that case this possibly is
an udev issue.
If not, please file a proper installation report [1].

> My CD/DVD-Writer was not identified by debian-installer.  So I manually
> set it up, to use hda as a pseduo scsi device, by apending hda=ide-scsi
> to the grub boot command line for the kernel.

What do you mean by "not recognized"? Not recognized to install from or
not set up to burn DVD's to?

Anyway, AFAIK the ide-scsi driver is deprecated. If the CD is not
recognized to install from my guess is that you have SATA and the SATA
driver is blocking access to the DVD-drive. That is a known problem.
Here also, please file a proper installation-report.

> My CD/DVD-Writer is now available as /dev/scd0.  I can find it using
> cdrecord -scanbus sometimes as 2,0,0.
>
> When I created an ISO and burned the file to disc it all went ok until:

The rest are not installer issues; please ask for help on the user lists.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/report-template