debian sarge (debian-installer system) dvdrom and floppy issues

Hello

Osamu Aoki suggested I email here the details of the problems with the
debian sarge install I did.

My 3 1/2 inch floppy drive green access LED is permanently on.  My drive
works fine when I reboot into win2k. I noticed that /dev/fd0 is missing.
Should I just figure out a way to create it using MAKEDEV.  Or perhaps this
problem in the sarge install is already known..?

My CD/DVD-Writer was not identified by debian-installer.  So I manually
set it up, to use hda as a pseduo scsi device, by apending hda=ide-scsi
to the grub boot command line for the kernel.

My CD/DVD-Writer is now available as /dev/scd0.  I can find it using
cdrecord -scanbus

sometimes as 2,0,0.

When I created an ISO and burned the file to disc it all went ok until:

# cdrecord -v dev=2,0,0 -eject -speed=8 -data cd.bin
[...]
cdrecord: No such device or address. Cannot send SCSI cmd via ioctl
cdrecord: No such device or address. Cannot send SCSI cmd via ioctl
cdrecord: No such device or address. Cannot send SCSI cmd via ioctl
Segmentation fault
#

now if I do cdrecord -scanbus the CD/DVD-Writer is not there.  I put the
CDR into anotehr computer and it was valid.

I am unable to read the CDR or any other CDR in the CD/DVD-Writer now.
(With CDR or even the Debian Sarge Installer Boot Disc)

# mount cdrom0
mount: /dev/scd0 is not a valid block de

I had to reboot my debian sarge computer before cdrecord -scanbus
would find the drive again.

My drive is

hda: _NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
  Vendor: _NEC      Model: DVD_RW ND-2500A   Rev: 1.06

$ lsmod |grep scsi
ide_scsi               15492  4294967295
ide_core              125028  5
via82cxxx,ide_cd,ide_generic,ide_disk,ide_scsi
scsi_mod              115148  5 sr_mod,sg,ide_scsi,sd_mod

I rebooted and tried with dvdrecord and got a similar problem:
Extract from attatched log (dvdrecord_verbose_log.txt.gz)
Executing 'write_g1' command on Bus 2 Target 0, Lun 0 timeout 200s
CDB:  2A 00 00 02 BC 2A 00 00 14 00
cmd finished after 0.097s timeout 200s

Track 01: Total bytes read/written: 367128576/367128576 (179262 sectors).
Writing  time:  635.227s
Fixating...

Executing 'flush cache' command on Bus 2 Target 0, Lun 0 timeout 200s
CDB:  35 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
cmd finished after 29.108s timeout 200s

Executing 'test unit ready' command on Bus 2 Target 0, Lun 0 timeout 200s
CDB:  00 00 00 00 00 00
dvdrecord: No such device or address. Cannot send SCSI cmd via ioctl

I can proivide dmsg or other logs if required.

Any ideas what the problem could be ?  I am not a member of this list,
so please could you include my email address in any replies.

Kind regards
JG