Re: How to avoid MTA installation? (and other preseed questions)

> > yes.
>
> :-) How?  If I set d-i netcfg/get_hostname, I am not prompted
> for the hostname anymore, I just like to set the default from
> "debian" to some other value.

I'm not sure as well that you can really set the default but still be
prompted...

However, the default is not only "debian". When you first give a
working IP setup, including the name server(s), the name of the
machine is defaulted by using a reverse DNS lookup on the IP address
you gave.

(btw, this is one part where one gets an empty screen for a few
seconds on slow networks)

So, if your machine is already declared in the local DNS, then you get
the correct name as default name. This feature rocks and is a really
nice thing for giving a good impression to newscomers....