Re: Desktop task broken on !(i386/powerpc)

Il giorno ven, 07-01-2005 alle 10:48 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen ha
scritto:
> [Sven Luther]
> > Do you really think that anyone installing debian will be baffled
> > when asked to choose between the gnome or KDE desktop ? Do you
> > seriously believe that ?
>
> Yes, I seriously believe that.  I'm involved in the debian-edu
> subproject, and we try to make Debian available for all pupils and
> students during education.  Several of the teachers responsible for
> setting up the computer network at their local school will be
> seriously baffled when asked to choose between gnome and kde.

This is why the single Desktop task should not be deleted (IMWHO) and
checking it should automatically check every subtask.

> > I bet those people will probably be more confused by the various
> > server tasks.
>
> Absolutely.  Which is why I try to encurrage redusing the amount of
> questions during first time install, and hide the complexity and
> flexibility from "common" users view, to reduce the cognitive strain
> on the first time debian users.  Us experts will find the options
> anyway.
>
> > And you think it is easier for them to discover the KDE desktop once
> > they have GDM running ? What do you imagine our current disk
> > requirements are ?
>
> I do not believe these users _care_ if they get the KDE or gnome
> desktop.  I have no idea what you mean by "our current disk
> requirements".

I agree with you in fact other distros take a decision for GNOME or KDE
as default, for example Mandrake and Suse use KDM+KDE.

Just my 2 ¢
sc

--
Stefano Canepa - email: sc@linux.it - www: http://www.stefanocanepa.it
Three great virtues of a programmer: laziness, impatience and hubris.