Re: Desktop task broken on !(i386/powerpc)

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 10:48:53AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Sven Luther]
> > Do you really think that anyone installing debian will be baffled
> > when asked to choose between the gnome or KDE desktop ? Do you
> > seriously believe that ?
>
> Yes, I seriously believe that.  I'm involved in the debian-edu
> subproject, and we try to make Debian available for all pupils and
> students during education.  Several of the teachers responsible for
> setting up the computer network at their local school will be
> seriously baffled when asked to choose between gnome and kde.

It is strange though, that you that are in the educational world believe in
dumbing down the install for everyone instead of educating the few who have
problems. I bet some words of explanation of the kind :

  there are two possible desktop styles/skin/whatever, please choose one, if
  unsure, choose <insert prefered one>

And how do these people react to choosing KDE over gnome in gdm ? Or do they
simply use the default desktop there ? If so, what would be the lose in
chosing such a default desktop in tasksel, and having some choice like :

  Gnome Desktop (default)
  KDE Desktop (alternate desktop)
  Simple Desktop (alternate desktop) <- this one is just X with twm or whatever

Would have had the same effect on usability, not ?

> > I bet those people will probably be more confused by the various
> > server tasks.
>
> Absolutely.  Which is why I try to encurrage redusing the amount of
> questions during first time install, and hide the complexity and
> flexibility from "common" users view, to reduce the cognitive strain
> on the first time debian users.  Us experts will find the options
> anyway.

So drop the question down to a lesser priority, default to the desktop task in
normal priority, and let's flesh out the tasks to something reasonable.

> > And you think it is easier for them to discover the KDE desktop once
> > they have GDM running ? What do you imagine our current disk
> > requirements are ?
>
> I do not believe these users _care_ if they get the KDE or gnome

Well, so we chose one, make it the default, and propose the other as an
alternative. everyone is happy and we can have meaningfull tasks.

> desktop.  I have no idea what you mean by "our current disk
> requirements".

The minimal disk size needed to install. This used to be 800 Mo for a desktop
system in woody, if i remember well.

Friendly,

Sven Luther