Re: [D-I Manual] Proposal for new entities and entity translation (was: "Sarge" and "sarge" in the manual)

On Dec 23, 2004 at 06:34:55PM +0200, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> > > Current entity   New entity       Definition
> > > - ---              manual           "Debian Installer Manual"
> > How will it be used? You can forget 'Just look this up in &manual;' as
> > this is untranslatable to languages, in which the endings of adjectives and
> I suppose that the Russian verison of &manual should be the official
> Russian name of the manual named "Debian Installer Manual". Consider how
> the sentence "Just look this up in the manual named &manual" differs
> from "Just look this up in &manual".  In the first sentece there are no
> problems with the translation of &manual.

In Russian language it is normal to change the official names of book,
films and so on according to grammatical rules. So even using &manual; as
the book name "Debian Installation Manual" (or better "&dist; Installation
Manual") will still lead to problems. "Just look this up in the manual
named &manual" look awkward to me.

I just want to bring some attention to the topic, as having problems is
rather probable - this is something the manual authors have to keep in
mind.

--
Nikolai Prokoschenko
nikolai@prokoschenko.de / Jabber: pronik@jabber.org