Re: your daily build of powerpc floppies

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 12:50:21AM -0500, Rick_Thomas wrote:
> Ralf,
>
> Are you willing/able to install a small MacOS (8 or 9, not X) partition
> on these machines?  If so, you can use the BootX bootloader.  If you
> don't know about it, it's a MacOS app that loads a Linux kernel and
> ramdisk, along with a boot-time parameter string.  BootX provides
> essentially all the important functionality of yaboot for NewWorld Macs
> or grub/lilo for x86s.

Bah, you are proposing the ugly non-free solution, shame on you :)

Seriously, he has the miboot floppies working, so why would he need bootx ?

> There are four different bootloaders for Macs.  One is yaboot, which
> only works on NewWorld machines.  The others are miboot, quik, and
> BootX, which work on OldWorld machines, but not on NewWorld.
>
> For technical reasons having to do with the details of how OldWorld Macs
> get driver software for their boot devices, the miboot bootloader will
> never be useful for anything but floppy disk booting.  Even if the
> cleanroom re-implementation project gets off the ground and produces a
> working bootloader, this will not change.

Sure, but we are speaking initial installation, afterward you are supposed to
use quik.

> Quik gets around this problem by using Open Firmware to access its boot
> devices.  However, until recently, quik did not support initial
> ramdisks.  This makes it useless for booting any of the stock 2.6 based
> kernels.  There is, apparently, in the works an attempt to fix this.
> But it's not clear that the fix will make it into the distribution
> before sarge is released.  Even if a fixed quik makes it possible to
> boot 2.6 kernels from a hard disk or over a network, quik's inherent
> reliance on specialized model-dependent patches to the Open Firmware
> makes me think that it's not (and never will be) for the faint of heart.

It works rather well, for woody only one model was listed as not supporting
quik.

> In my very humble opinion, that doesn't leave much except BootX for the
> "general user" with an OldWorld Mac.  Fortunately, BootX "just works" on
> all the models of Oldworld Macs that I've tried it on.  I recommend you
> give it a try.

Well, debian can't recomend it, and many will not have or not want mac os
anymore, or like me, are saddled with a greek localised mac os, which is not
really all that fun to use. Well, probably good oportunity to learn greek you
would say :)

Friendly,

Sven Luther