Re: your daily build of powerpc floppies

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 08:56:50PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 08:14:42PM +0100, Ralf Schlatterbeck wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 07:16:58PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > >
> > > What graphic card do you have on this box ?
> > The built-in graphics. No extra card.
>
> Ok, do you know what graphic chips is used in it, and what driver is used on
> it? more /proc/fb on the second console should give you that info.
On 2.4 (which I'm currently booted into) cat /proc/fb says
0 control

I'll let you know what the other (floppy is 2.6 Kernel, right?)
version says when I have time to reboot.

> > Excuse my ignorance,
> > how do I specify boot parameters with the hfs boot floppies?
>
> Ah, indeed, you need ot build a new miboot floppy, not evident. Rick and the
> other oldworld guys have in the past looked at how to do this. If you want, i
> can build you a specialized boot floppy, so you can try this out.
Would be nice to try, yes. But I'm a bit further now, so see below. But
I'd try to get the other set of floppies running, too...

> BTW, did you try the ofonly boot floppy ?
Yes for the rc2, No for the daily build.
For rc2 it is also immediately rejected. I also tried to boot into
Open Firmware (with serial console attached) and said
boot fd
but it produces a message saying that the load command is not
supported for this device. I have never been able to boot a floppy
from OF.

> > > Did you try both the floppies and the floppies-2.4 ?
> > >From the release-candidates, yes. From your daily build, no.
> > Will be the next thing I'll do.
> Ok.
Done. Interesting effect with 2.4:
I have two Monitor Adapters for the mac (no, I don't have a fancy one
with dip switches). From my Monitor I'm getting the following info about
the signal (and of course very different resolution) with the different
adapters (changing of resolutions requires a reboot):
- MAC 1152x870 / 75 Hz
- MAC  640x480 / 67 Hz
I'm *not* seeing the d-i menu with the higher resolution. But when I
swith VC to Console 2, i see the d-i menu for an instant. Note that the
monitor is *not* out of sync, it still reports the resolution on both
VCs.
I have veryfied that with the combination of boot/root floppy (from
floppy) I'm getting a blank screen with *both* resolutions, so this is
a different problem.

I'm now installing the base system (!) with the low resolution which
means I have successfully connected to the network and partitioned the
disk.

> > For the release candidates I'm sure it's not the kernel: The floppy is
> > immediately ejected.
>
> Oh, i know why that is, the rc2 floppies where built without miboot, since
> miboot is non-free, so there is no chance that those floppies will work.
Will this change in a future release? Or alternatively, will your daily
build floppies stay available?

Thanks for your help

Note that I have three other more or less identical machines, so there
is some more time to experiment with different installer versions.

Ralf
--
Ralf Schlatterbeck
email: ralf@zoo.priv.at FAX: +43/2243/26465/23