Re: your daily build of powerpc floppies

Thanks for the quick reply.

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 07:16:58PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 07:02:25PM +0100, Ralf Schlatterbeck wrote:
> > I recently discovered your daily build of floppies.
> > I can boot them on my oldworld 7600 powermac
>
> What graphic card do you have on this box ?
The built-in graphics. No extra card.

> > After booting the debian-installer starts and I get
> > a black screen. I can switch to the second console to
> > get a shell.
>
> Which floppies are you using ? floppies or floppies-2.4 ?
floppies, not floppies-2.4 (for the daily build, for the
release-candidate installer I tried both)

> Can you give the exact URL ?
Daily build as of today:
http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/floppy/[br]oot.bin

> > Is there a way for giving boot-parameters so that d-i
> > starts up in another mode (maybe no framebuffer)?
>
> Yes, check the installation manual, i believe it contains the info :
>
>   http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.powerpc/ch05s02.html
>
>   DEBIAN_FRONTEND=text
>
> and :
>
>   debian-installer/framebuffer=false
>
> may work.

Excuse my ignorance,
how do I specify boot parameters with the hfs boot floppies?

> > Note that these floppies are my hope of getting sarge on
> > my powermac. The release-candidate 2 floppies are ejected
> > directly after boot.
>
> Did you try both the floppies and the floppies-2.4 ?
>From the release-candidates, yes. From your daily build, no.
Will be the next thing I'll do.

> > I can boot woody floppies just fine.
>
> Ok, usual story. But we don't know if it is the install itself, the different
> miboot or different kernel version which cause the problem.
For the release candidates I'm sure it's not the kernel: The floppy is
immediately ejected.

> Make sure to write to debian-boot next time, and to fill an installation
> report once you are finished ...
I have cc-ed this msg to debian-boot.

Thanks.
Ralf