Re: help with install on Dell SC420 / SATA / Sarge / netinst / at a_piix

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:45:45 -0600, Colleen Hatfield <evilpig@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just installed an SC420 using the RC2 netinstall CD with "expert26"
> boot parameter yesterday.  Both of these bugs seem to be fixed: I can
> boot without giving acpi=off, and i get no hang after the RTC
> messages.

I just did another install on the same machine to reproduce a
different bug, and found that what I had said here was incorrect.  The
problem isn't fixed in rc2, but in the most recent version of the
2.6.8 kernel that I had gotten via apt from the unstable tree.  So it
is still best to give "acpi=off" to the installer (though technically
you don't have to if you're willing to ctrl+c a few times).  After
upgrading to the most recent kernel image in unstable
(kernel-image-2.6.8-1-386_2.6.8-10_i386.deb) you will not need that as
a boot option and can remove it from /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Sorry for any confusion :-(

- Colleen