Re: help with install on Dell SC420 / SATA / Sarge / netinst / at a_piix

> On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 12:53:46PM -0500, Eric Silberstein wrote:

No worries Mate.

I have been newbie myself and on some topic still am.
And there are no stupid questions
(some questions are however to stupid to answer ;-)

> 1) What is the netboot image, how do I use it, and where do I get it from?
> Does this method actually require that I do a network boot?  If so, do I
> somehow copy the netboot files to a second computer and point my SC420 to it
> at bootup time?

Sorry for introducing 'netboot', my message was that 2.6 images do exist.
(there were questions how to build netinst CD images, so no need to
build them yourself right now.)

> 2) How do I get the 2.6 kernel?
I hope that you found meanwhile http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/10/msg02182.html
or at least the F1 button hint in the debian-installer splash screen.

> What is the connection between
> stable/testing/unstable and the kernel?  For example, is Sarge based on 2.4
> and unstable on 2.6?
Nope.
The short answer is: "nothing to worry about"
The long answer is: "no time to explain that right here"

 http://www.nl.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

> Thanks in advance,

You are welcome.
I hope that you learn something,
at least that the reply goes below the text ;-)

> Eric

Cheers
Geert Stappers