Re: Can I use an apt-cacher to install?

On Thursday 25 November 2004 11:19, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 10:51:57AM +0000, David Goodenough wrote:
> > I have a server which runs apt-cacher.  I use it for all apt-get updates
> > and upgrades on my system, but I have had no luck trying to install using
> > it.
> >
> > I tried setting it as the proxy (i.e. using the insertion of the proxy
> > bit at the start of the URL to gain access to the server), but that did
> > not seem to work.
>
> No, of course not. If you enter a web proxy, it'll be set as the
> environment variable 'http_proxy', which makes most applications use an
> HTTP proxy. They work differently from apt-cacher.
>
> If you want to use apt-cacher, you just want to manually configure a
> mirror. You can then ignore the list of mirrors.
>
> --
>          EARTH
>      smog  |   bricks
>  AIR  --  mud  -- FIRE
> soda water |   tequila
>          WATER
>  -- with thanks to fortune
As I said in another reply to myself, I tried configuring it manually.  But
that was with pre-RC2, I have just tried RC2.  That also fails, and in looking
around the consoles on console 4 I found the following error messages:-

DEBUG: virtual package configured-network
DEBUG: (process 7143) segementation fault
WARNING *** Configuring choose-mirror failed with error code 139
WARNING *** Menu item choose-mirror failed

So it would appear that there is a problem with the manually choosing the
mirror function.

David