Re: How to contribute

Quoting Petter Reinholdtsen (pere@hungry.com):
> [Jaonary Rabarisoa]
> > Especially, I'm very exiting to get Debian in my native language
> > which is the "malagasy" - from Madagascar. So what I have to do for
> > that?
>
> Well, first you will probably have to get a locale made available for
> that language.  Check
> <URL:http://www.student.uit.no/~pere/linux/glibc/> for info on how to
> do that.  As far as I can see, from the glibc source, there is no such
> language supported by glibc today.

And I haven't been able to find one unfortunately.

Petter is right, having a malagasy locale is a must have for a
Malagasy translation to be really useful.

So, we need to build one is none exists..:-)

Building a mg_MG locale seems the most appropriate, with
language/country related to "malagasy in Madagascar".

This is not that complicated, except for the collate part which may be
tricky without other reference.

Jaonary, correct me if I'm wrong, but malagasy does not use special
characters (basically it uses Latin script), right ?

That would simplify things a lot....

Besides this, working on early translation of Debian Installer to
Malagasy is possible even without the locale in Debian, of course.

I suggest you start reading the i18n documentation for Debian
Installer. Let me use this opportunity for pointing you to the new
revamped documentation :

http://people.debian.org/~bubulle/d-i/i18n.txt

Even though some parts described here are not yet in place, you'll get
most of the point....

After this, and even before, feel free to get in touch with me.....and
to use French if needed.