Re: sarge netinst bug with cpqarray

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 11:07:24AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > "Unable to install GRUB in (hd0)
> > Executing 'grub-install (hd0)' failed.
> > This is a fatal error"
> >
> > and in the console 3:
> >
> > "Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
> > /dev/ida/c0d0p2 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive."
> >
> > that c0d0p2 looks weird.. there's no such device in /dev/ida/.
>
> grub-install is running in the /target chroot, and you should indeed
> have a /target/dev/ida/c0d0p2; that's the standard name for this device.

When grub install fails the first time, do a
 echo "(hd0) /dev/ida/c0d0" >> /target/boot/grub/device.map

Then retry the grub install, and see if it solves your problem.

> It sounds like grub-install is not adding the drive to the device.map,
> or is not seeing it at all. This is probably a bug in grub. If you can
> get the system to boot and reproduce the problem by running grub-install
> there then it's certianly a bug in grub and not in the installer per se.

Looks very much like some of the problems we've seen with the cciss-driver

Please report this to your HP/Compaq sales representativ, so they
might put some more people on it. I'll bcc my contact here in Norway as
well, hoping he might feed the guys in Houston with more information.

Is this a new Machine ?

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no